Manchester City players wear special pre-match PUMA shirts made from repurposed football shirts
Manchester City players wore a special, durable pre-match before the Premier League clash with Watford this afternoon as part of PUMA’s innovative ‘RE:JERSEY’ recycling project.
The shirts worn during the warm-up are made from 75% reused football shirts, with the remaining 25% coming from “Seaqual Marine plastic”, a fully traceable raw material made from marine waste.
The RE:JERSEY campaign strives to reduce waste and pave the way for more circular production models in the future.
In terms of the process, the material – including old clothing featuring logos, embroidery and club crests – is chemically broken down into its main components.
After that, the colors are filtered and the material is chemically restored to create a yarn that mirrors the performance characteristics of virgin polyester.
Commenting on the project, Pete Bradshaw, Manchester City’s Director of Sustainability, said: “Manchester City and PUMA have made significant commitments to their respective sustainability programs which ensure that social and environmental actions work for tangible long-term change. term.
“With RE:JERSEY, PUMA is looking for new ways to make sporting goods more circular and we are proud to be able to play a part in this journey, working to engage fans, the community, the workforce and the partners – actively collaborating for a better future.”
City’s women’s team will also wear the pre-match top ahead of the game against Leicester City on Sunday, while fellow PUMA clubs Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan and Marseille also have their own unique shirts and will display them in future matches.
In another part of the initiative, PUMA will encourage fans to donate old 100% polyester items so they can participate in the recycling project.
Collection bins will be placed at the City Store near the Etihad Stadium, as well as collection bins in the vicinity of the Etihad Campus.
To announce the important initiative, the words “Eat, Sleep, City Repeat – 100% RE:JERSEY” were written on the Etihad Center Circle pitch on a bright blue patchwork using recycled materials.
PUMA’s football kits are already made from 100% recycled polyester and the German company hopes to have 75% recycled polyester by 2025 for all of its apparel and accessories.